Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Jet Lagged in London

Les and I shuffled down the street in search of a restaurant as our overactive, sleep deprived children ran circles around us. I know alot of kids get super busy when they are tired and that it is not unique to ours, but managing them can be very challenging.

The staff at the hotel directed us to Covent Garden, an area with lots of shops and restaurants, saying that we could find all kinds of food there (Indian, Thai, Chinese). As I listened to their suggestions, I tried to wrap my mind around the idea of coming all the way to London and then eating Chinese food. It seems absurd.

After walking a few blocks and passing several of the restaurants mentioned at the hotel, we decided on an English pub and enjoyed a traditional English meal, fish and chips. It seemed like lunch to us (noon EST), but was really about 5pm local time. Although fried foods are not my favorite, I feel satisfied that I have had a true British experience. (I think I actually like those other foods better though.)

As we lingered over our meal, the food settled in and I once again grew tired. My thoughts of taking a walk vanished, and we returned to the hotel for rest and wallet searching. It is now almost 7 p.m. here, and I am looking forward to going to bed tonight.

By the way, Wikepedia says that jet lag can take about 1.5 days per time zone to adjust. If that is true, we will be "jet lagging" for almost half of our visit!

1 comment:

  1. I remember having fish and chips also. I really wasn't that fond of fish at that age (18), but you must eat as the locals eat! I wasn't happy in Scotland when we had lamb stew! Poor little lambs :(

    ReplyDelete